Monday, July 9, 2007

Furlough

Alexandra from "The Linger and Die". So called presumably because if you lingered on this spot too long you could be drowned by a flood.


Today was my first day at work after a weeks holiday. It's been kind of a watershed week. We decided to go to Alexandra for most of it and catch up with friends and surroundings that we left behind 2 or more years ago to enter The Salvation Army Training College. We had been back only once for a quick trip so it was time to relax and spend time.
The picture above doesn't do Alexandra justice and being winter it didn't look a bit like that blue sky and brown grass. It was mostly grey skies and below zero temperatures with a bit of rain thrown in and snow on the surrounding hills.
Nevertheless it was great and we enjoyed our stay with friends.
I preached at my old Corps on the Sunday about Mephibosheth grandson of the King who lived a crippled life in poverty and through David found a love that seeks, elevates and is secure. The Corps people there are my personal fan club so I couldn't fail but I do hope they heard the message as it's a great story.

We had a trip through to Wanaka for a haircut. Cause that's what you do when your on holiday you travel an hour there and an hour back with the threat of snow over you just for a haircut.


I feel much better for the break even if it was packed to the hilt with friends and family and not a minute to spare. I've done a lot of thinking and a lot of off loading and I think I am understanding a lot more the way I've got to go in terms of work and calling and who I am and who God is - yes things are back in perspective like they never have been before.
Today was my first day back at work and for the 3rd time this winter I had to wait for an hour or so before I could get out of the driveway because of ice or snow. This time it wasn't that the tyres wouldn't grip - I actually had no control for a full 2 seconds because of ice. Just might have to leave the car at the top of the hill and walk up to it every morning to avoid the excitement.

1 comment:

Corryn said...

Aunty Bob...
Glad you had a good holiday. I've been thinking of you since that wonderful (??) snowstorm that rocketed the south. My brother got trapped at the Irwins in Dunedin on his way to Queenstown, though he made it a few days later and apparently had wicked snow to snowboard, much to his delight.
Seems ages since I saw you and heard your lovely laugh, but not long til your reviews!! Mwahaha!
Catch ya laters, Cap'n. Pass my love to the daughter as well.
xoxo